Monday, November 4, 2013

Walter Astrada Undesired- 11/4/12


Photo Credit: http://walterastrada.com/portfolio/vaw-project/undesired-missing-women-in-india/

Undesired "Missing"-


Describing:

a. Judging by what the woman is wearing in this photo, this picture was most likely taken in India, near some sort of water source.
b.There is a young woman standing on a dock in this photo. She is drinking water out of some sort of lake or river. The picture was most likely taken during the day, perhaps in the early morning because there is fog in the background. I would say she is most likely somewhere in the country, seeing that there are no buildings around.
c. The colors in this photo are dark and dull. The lines of the dock and the line of squares in the water create a sense of space, drawing my eye back towards the woman. The texture of the water is smooth looking, and the dock has lines on it, making it look rough.

Analyzing:

a. From this photo, I have learned that this women is obviously thirsty. Maybe there is a shortage of water where she lives, and she can only drink out of the dirty water. What immediately catches my eye is the woman drinking water. Her dark clothes stick out against the dull gray background. She's not wearing any shoes, and I don't know if it's because she doesn't want to or if she doesn't have any shoes.
b. The woman in this photo is wearing black clothes with a black headdress and scarf. The woman looks young, possibly in her thirties. I can't really see her face, so I'm not quite sure what she is feeling.
c. The only thing I can see in the background is fog, so I am not sure of what is going on back there. It seems like it is early in the morning, judging by the fog. The overall mood is surprisingly peaceful. The picture is simple, with not a lot of commotion going on in the picture. The colors and element of the water create a calming feel and mood.

Interpreting:

a. From my previous analysis, I think that the women just wanted a drink of water because she was thirsty. I think the intent of the photographer was to capture this woman getting a drink to show that in some countries getting a drink isn't as simple as going to the faucet. I think he was trying to say that we should be more thankful for things and not take things for granted. I think the picture was taken at this time because obviously the fog and colors of this photo are what made it so interesting. I'm not sure why the photographer chose this angle. I think he wanted to capture the lines of the dock so that it drew our eyes back. Also I think he wanted to capture the water and fog, and the woman on the right to represent Rule of Thirds.
b. It is clear that the photographer's main focus was the woman. I think he wanted to leave out any buildings or extraneous detail because he wanted to capture the simplicity of this photo. I think leaving out extra objects and detail helped accomplish the goal of simplicity.

Evaluating:

The video was quite shocking and I couldn't believe that things like this are actually happening in our world. It made me upset because innocent girls and women were being harmed because of a culture's way of thinking.
a. I actually really liked this photo. I thought the subject was interesting and the picture was very peaceful. The significance of this photo was to realize the importance of water and how much it affects us. I have learned to be more thankful for what I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment